VMware includes a great solution, templates, for consistent virtual machine deployments. A template is essentially a master image of a virtual machine that typically includes a guest operating system and applications. Using templates allows you to deploy virtual machines with a consistent configuration. Additionally, below is a step list of steps for creating a template.
- Install the Microsoft Windows 2012 R2 operating system
- Install VMware Tools
- Install Windows Updates
- Run sysprep (C:\Windows\System32\Sysprep\sysprep.exe)
- System Cleanup Action: Enter System Out-of-Box Experience (OOBE)
- Shutdown Options: Shutdown
- Right click the virtual machine and select Convert to Template….